Friday, March 26, 2010

E-Learning, society and curriculum

To what extent do you accept Prensky's analysis?
I think Prensky's categorization is helpful in order to understand how students that we are teaching are growing up in a world that we didn't. It reminds me anyway that I can't assume that I can teach students in the same fashion I was.


To what extent do you identify yourself with the "digital immigrant" generation? Although I fall in the digital immigrant category by just a few years I don't really think I am one. Although I didn't grow up as a baby with ipods, mobile phones and the interest I was still young enough and still a student to be effected and influenced by the introduction of the internet, the PC, etc. and other digital and technological changes. Maybe it is more about adapting to change that seperates the real digital natives from immigrants?

Are there any benefits in being an "immigrant"? I think there can be if they are open to change and learning styles of the new generations. Immigrants still have many skills and processes that they can use that are not as common or accessible to the native. For example, writing a letter, face to face communication, etc


Prensky, M. (2001). Digital natives, digital immigrants. On the Horizon, 9(5), 1-6. Retrieved from http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%20Part1.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment